(We are filing from May – August for the 2018-2020 filing years)

Criteria of eligibility:

    • Single individual with an income of $40,000 or less per year
    • Single parent with an income of $45,000 or less per year
    • A couple with an income of $50,000 or less per year
    • For each dependent/child, add $3000 per child
    • You must be a Member of Burnaby Neighbourhood House (BNH)  and a Burnaby resident

Income Tax Brochure
BNH offers an income tax clinics for BURNABY residents with moderate incomes & simple tax situations. Anyone interested in having their taxes done by volunteers can book online.

Income Tax Clinic Screening Pre-Booking Form

Do you qualify for the Income Tax Clinic?

Please DO NOT fill out the pre-screen form until you have all your tax papers. If you require any assistance filling out the form, please contact South House at 604-431-0400 or North House at 604-294-5444.

If you qualify, a drop-off appointment time and email will be sent to you.

Please note: To help keep everyone safe, the Tax Clinic is a drop off by-appointment, no contact service. You drop off your tax materials to the Neighbourhood House. Tax Preparers come on site to input your information and speak with you by phone before making a submission to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). Once your return has been filed, you can pick up your tax materials at the Neighbourhood House at the pre-arranged time.

If you have any questions or concerns, you can email Janice at janiceh@burnabynh.ca.

What documents to bring to your appointment and what information you have to know:

  • a “government-issued" photo ID card for each adult member of the family (Canadian Citizenship Card, PR Card, BC ID, BC Driver License, or BC CareCard)
  • Social Insurance Number for each filing adult family member
  • all income tax slips (T4, T4A, T-5007 etc) and your notice of assessment for last year (if you haven’t received all your tax forms for the year, please first get all your tax slips before booking an appointment)
  • medical expense receipts (receipts for prescribed medication or treatments)
  • receipts for child care services, day camps and resident camps where the primary goal of the camp is to care for children
  • all other receipts related to your income tax

To file income tax returns for each member of the household who is required to file a tax return:

  • bring all tax slips, documents and receipts mentioned above
  • everyone filing must be present to file their taxes, except for children 18 and younger
  • all family members are encouraged to file together, as it makes it easier and lessens the amount of data needed to be entered (appointments are 30 minutes for each file)
  • families with dependents under 19 who have taxable income will need to bring their T4 slips
  • families claiming childcare expenses must have the receipts for payments (if the service was provided by an individual, they must have name, address and social insurance number of that individual)
  • students who have paid tuition fees during the tax year will need to bring a copy of form T2202A – Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts Certificate

Questions & Answers

Who is providing this service?

The clinic is run by volunteers with limited knowledge of taxation and some experience in filing simple personal income tax returns.

Is there a fee for this service?

All tax services are free of charge, but you must be a member of the BNH. Individual $5 Family $10 (cash or cheque only). Tax receipts are issued for donations greater than $15.

Do I Need To File A Tax Return?

All Canadian citizens and permanent residents (including people residing legally in Canada) age 19 and over (with income or no income) have to file a Canadian income tax return for each tax year in order to:

  • Pay the accurate amount of income tax owed or get back some of the income tax deducted
  • Claim certain benefits, such as the GST/HST Credit, Child Tax Benefit, Universal Childcare Subsidy, or Guaranteed Income Supplement under the Old Age Security Program

The following is a list of some of the slips you may have received:
  • T5007 -Statement of Social Assistance payments or Disability Benefits
  • T4 -Statement of Remuneration Paid
  • T4A -Statement of Pension, Retirement, Annuity, and Other Income
  • T4A(OAS) -Statement of Old Age Security
  • T4A(P) -Statement of Canada Pension Plan Benefits
  • T4E -Statement of Employment Insurance and Other Benefits
  • T4RSP -Statement of RRSP Income
  • RC62 -Universal Child Care Benefit statement

What kind of income tax we do not file?

  • are self-employed
  • have claimed bankruptcy
  • are deceased
  • have capital gains or losses (stock/mutual fund investments; no interest income over $1000)
  • claim employment expenses
  • have business or rental income and expenses
  • have foreign income or assets (we can do foreign pensions and US Social Security income though)
  • are non-residents

Income Tax Clinics Locations and Time:

BNH South House

4460 Beresford Street
Burnaby, BC V5H 0B8
Phone: 604-431-0400

BNH North House

4908 Hastings Street
Burnaby, BC V5B 1P6

(Delta Ave. and Hastings St)

Access to parking from the alley /park in the angled parking spots
Phone: 604-294-5444


Follow our Social Media

@sburnabynh, @northbnh

South House

4460 Beresford Street
Burnaby, BC V5H 0B8
Phone: 604-431-0400

Family membership $10/year
Individual membership $5/year

North House

4908 Hastings Street
Burnaby, BC V5B 1P6
Phone: 604-294-5444