Income Tax Clinics

Volunteers are recruited and trained to assist low income earners to complete their income tax returns.

All tax services are free of charge, but you must be a member of the BNH. You have the option to donate $5 or more to offset administrative costs. (cash or cheque only). Tax receipts are issued for donations greater than $15. To find out more info, please click here

  • Criteria of eligibility:
  • Single individual with an income of $40,000 or less per year.
  • Single Parent with an income of $45,000 or less per year.
  • A couple with an income of $50,000 or less per year.
  • For each dependent/child add $3,000 per child
  • You must be a Member of Burnaby Neighbourhood House (BNH) and a Burnaby resident.

Multi-Lingual Translation/Interpretation Support

We have trained multi-lingual volunteers who are ready and willing to help in our community. If you know a neighbour or an organization that needs help with translation, interpretation or general support of new immigrants call Abdul at the Neighbourhood House and he will refer a volunteer to you.

We are especially looking for bi-lingual Mandarin, Farsi/Dari, Arabic and Korean volunteers to be trained. This project is funded by the United Way the BC Gaming Commission.

EAL Classes

English as Additional Language (EAL) classes are provided by volunteer facilitators. These classes teach basic English with a focus on everyday use.  The registration is on ongoing basis.  The classes are free,  Please contact us for more information.

Computer Drop-In

Would you like learn to use email, create files and documents, use excel, search the Internet or practice typing and writing skills on a computer? Volunteer Computer Instructors are available to help community residents one-to-one with their computer learning needs. The Free Computer Drop-In program meets Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3-5 pm and Fridays 1-3 pm at the South House & Mondays 10 am to noon and Tuesday from 1-3 pm at the North House. The program is free and drop-ins are welcome but this is a popular program so please come early. You can use one of the Neighbourhood House desktops and laptops or bring your own device.

Legal Advice

Free Legal Advice clinics are offered to low income earners in partnership with the Western Canada Access to Justice Society. Appointments are scheduled with Volunteer Lawyers every Tuesday afternoon. This service is only available to individuals who cannot access Legal Aid.
Please call (604) 878-7400 to book an appointment.

Sharing Cultures Nights

Monthly nights are organized by a committee of local residents at various locations throughout Burnaby. Each night features a cultural theme and is a great place to relax, and meet your neighbours. Cost is $5 for adults and $3 for children. Reservations required. Call our office at 604-431-0400 for tickets.


JulieJanuary 14, 2015 at 5:23 pmReply

Hi. This is Julie. I have one question. My husband has a student visa.
Can he get assistance to complete income tax returns?

Thank you.

BurnabyNHJanuary 21, 2015 at 12:17 pmReply

Hi Julie,
If your husband has lived in Canada at least 6 months in the tax year, and has a social insurance number, he can file his taxes. In some cases, you cannot get a SIN because you are not eligible. This is the case for some temporary residents. If you cannot get a SIN, you can use an Individual Tax Number (ITN) or Temporary Taxation Number (TTN) to file taxes, instead of a SIN. He will need to apply for that number with CRA.

EmilyFebruary 3, 2015 at 10:40 amReply

Hi. This is Emily.
I have a visiting visa for 6 months, but I want to admitt collage for studying.
I would like to prepare my English speaking before collage admission. So, can I join ESL class in Burnaby NH?

Thank you

BurnabyNHFebruary 4, 2015 at 3:03 pmReply

Hi Emily,

You can come to the Burnaby Neighbourhood House next week on Thursday at 12:45pm to register for the ESL class. Please note that the class is more suitable for beginners.

ElliottFebruary 9, 2015 at 4:50 pmReply

Hi. I am Elliott and i’m currently 14 years old with lots of knowledge on working computers. I see that you have a program on wednesdays and wanted to know if I could help out. I know how to operate a PC, use microsoft word/excel, create an e-mail, etc. I can do all the basics on a computer and would love to teach people who need the help.

BurnabyNHFebruary 10, 2015 at 3:27 pmReply

Hi Elliot,

Thank you for your inquiry. We placed 2 volunteers in the Computer Class last week. If any of volunteers instructors stop volunteering, we will contact you.

joyMarch 16, 2015 at 10:40 amReply

I need to see a legal aid lawyer can I see one at your center. Thanks

BurnabyNHMarch 17, 2015 at 12:31 pmReply

Hi Joy,
The Legal Aid Clinic is provided to individuals who cannot access help from Legal Aid and who are low income and cannot afford a lawyer. Half hour appointments can be booked with a qualified volunteer lawyer who will provide step by step advice for dispute resolution. Lawyers do not appear in court, but can assist clients in court preparation.
Call 604-878-7400 to book an appointment.

JaleoApril 2, 2015 at 1:33 pmReply

I live near metrotown .
I have Work Permit visa.
I passed BCPNP.My PR is being processed.
I want to improve English for work, can I join ESL class in Burnaby NH?
Thank you.

BurnabyNHApril 2, 2015 at 2:08 pmReply

Hi Jaleo,

The ESL Class is offered on Mondays and Thursdays from 1-3pm. You can visit our office Mon-Fri between 9am-8pm to register for the class.

FlaviaMay 9, 2015 at 1:49 amReply

My husband needs to improve his english skills to get a job. He has a work permit visa . Can he join ESL class? We live very close to Burnaby NH. Thank you.

BurnabyNHMay 14, 2015 at 3:21 pmReply

Yes he can. The classes are running on Mondays and Thursdays from 1-3pm. He will need to come to the reception first to register. Registration takes 10-15 min.

VasiliyAugust 30, 2015 at 7:34 pmReply

This is Vasiliy.
I am a parent of Canada citizen. I have a visiting visa for 4 years to extended every 6 month.
So can I join ESL classes in Burnaby NH?
Warmest regards,

BurnabyNHSeptember 4, 2015 at 4:21 pmReply

Hi Vasiliy,

If you have proof of your long-term stay in Canada, you can join our ESL class.

HanniaOctober 14, 2015 at 5:19 pmReply

Hi I’m Hannia. My mom wants to learn english (she doesn’t speak English) what does she needs to take classes?
When can she take it?
Can you help me with it?

BurnabyNHOctober 16, 2015 at 1:16 pmReply

Hi Hannia,
Your mom can come on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5pm to attend the classes. She will need to report to the reception and ask about the location of the class, and the teacher will register her in the class.

SheilaOctober 28, 2015 at 8:16 pmReply

Hi I’m sheila..I’m on a work permit visa and I want to improve my English.can I join your ESL class? Thanks,sheila..

BurnabyNHDecember 10, 2015 at 3:32 pmReply

Hi Sheila,
Your are welcome to attend our ESL classes. The classes are on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. You may want to visit BNH to register.

BarbNovember 3, 2015 at 11:24 amReply

do you have any nutrition classes coming up in January 2016
For adults or seniors

BurnabyNHDecember 10, 2015 at 3:35 pmReply

Hi Barb,

We don’t have nutrition classes in January, but the Seniors Together Program often run information sessions about nutrition for the participants of the program.

AnaNovember 21, 2015 at 5:52 pmReply


I am interested in volunteering as a Romanian Translator. I have a bachelors in Linguistics from Romania.
Thank you!

BurnabyNHDecember 10, 2015 at 3:38 pmReply

Hi Anna,

Please contact our volunteer coordinator at

Jimmy WuJuly 17, 2017 at 9:36 amReply

I am interested in ESL classes and computer café classes. Can I come in to register?



MaríaSeptember 28, 2017 at 10:36 amReply

Hello, I´m intrested in the clases of english, but I´m 14 years and I¨m Mexican, I was wondering if I can take the classes with the adults, right now I´m making home school, so I have flexible schedule.
Regards María.

BurnabyNHSeptember 28, 2017 at 3:44 pmReply

Hello Maria,
Unfortunately our classes are only for adults. Here is a link for a list of different ESL classes in Burnaby and they may be able to include youth. Hope this helps.

ShaziaSeptember 29, 2017 at 4:10 pmReply

I am interested in ESL classes because I want to improve my English . I want to ask that what about the mothers who have to stay with their kids can they bring their kids to the class?
Thank you,

KatieApril 7, 2018 at 2:48 pmReply

May I know what level is of the ESL classes in BNH ? Is it open for everyone ?



KevinApril 18, 2018 at 3:06 amReply


I was wondering if my aunt and uncle (who are ~55 years old) can get an English Language tutor to their home with any one of your programs?

HosseinMarch 1, 2019 at 10:57 amReply

bruary 3, 2015 at 10:40 amReply

Hi. This is Hossein,
I have a visiting visa for 6 months, but my wife has study permit and then I can apply for open work permit.
I would like to prepare my English speaking before starting a new job. So, can I join ESL class in Burnaby NH?

Thanks a lot

MathySeptember 10, 2019 at 9:08 pmReply

I have PR ;I need to improve my speaking but I can’t go to any english
Class because my son is 14th months
Now. Could you tell me if you have any
Conversation class.

Thank you.