We are staff and volunteers who are working to build a sense of community in South Burnaby. We include people of all ages and diverse backgrounds. Through a wide range of programs and services, the Burnaby Neighbourhood House offers social support and activities for the whole family – children, parents, and grandparents. For example, a parent may be attending a parent support circle, a child may be attending an after-school club, and a grandmother may attend a seniors wellness group. They would all be invited and encouraged to attend community events. It is the philosophy of Neighbourhood Houses that everyone should have equal access to community programs and services and that programs remain accessible and affordable.
Building community through the planning and implementation of low cost community dinners and events. (festivals, family fairs, community clean-ups, etc). Bringing community members together in a positive and supportive environment, which encourages the building of relationships. Some events are organized solely by the Burnaby Neighbourhood House staff and volunteers where other events are coordinated by other groups and the Burnaby Neighbourhood House staff participates by providing a promotional display and activity.
Burnaby Neighbourhood House is committed to building a socially just neighbourhood, defined as one that upholds and validates the value of:
• Inclusiveness- To understand and responsive to all community members and treat with respect and integrity
• Equality- To make accessible social and economic resources in the community for the benefit of all people
• Empowerment & Leadership- To help individuals and communities achieve self-actualization
• Engagement & Responsibility- To build common interests and sustain relationships in the community as the basis for action to achieve shared goals
• Innovation- To develop new resources and made available in the community
An inclusive community accepts each resident as part of the community and of importance. In order to have a safe, healthy and productive place to live, it is important for people in the community to work together.
Sometimes a person feels inadequate because of various factors and that is where enablement comes in – helping that person to discover their abilities and to express them. Enablement leads to empowerment, and empowerment is enablement taken one step further. What seemed impossible can be accomplished.